Ingredients and Method
- 1 lb ButcherBox.ca mild (sweet) Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 cups ButcherBox.ca Organic Chicken Broth
- 6 tbsp ButcherBox.ca Organic Grass Fed Grass Finished Unsalted Butter - plus more for greasing the pan and drizzling
- 16 oz bread cubes, slightly dry (or buy pre cut)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cooking apples, such as Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 to 2 ribs celery, with leaves, chopped
- to taste Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the stuffing cubes in a large bowl and set aside. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook until it loses most of its pink colour, but not so much that it's dry, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and pan drippings to the stuffing cubes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the onion, apple, celery, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until the vegetables get soft, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Pour the vegetable mixture over the stuffing cubes and sausage mixture. Toss until evenly moistened. Mix in the walnuts and eggs.
- Loosely pack the dressing in the prepared pan and cook uncovered until the top forms a crust, about 40 minutes. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of turkey pan drippings or melted butter over the top. Cook until the top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes more.
- To toast walnuts, spread them out on a baking sheet and toast in a 350 degrees F oven until golden, about 7 minutes.
Write Your Own Review