Salad Nicoise with Seared Tuna
- 1/2 lb small new red potatoes scrubbed and halved, skins on
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 lb french green beans, stems trimmed
- 2 Butcher Box.ca Ahi Tuna Steaks
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives (you can use Kalamata olives)
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 8 caper berries with stems
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a mason jar, screw cap onto jar and shake vigorously to emulsify the ingredients. Set aside while preparing the salad so flavours can blend thoroughly.
Cooking potatoes, eggs and green beans in the same pot reduces prep time and clean up - put potatoes in a large saucepan, add water just to cover and a generous pinch of salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 12 minutes to give them a good head start, add eggs to the pot. Place a steamer basket or colander on tolp of the pot of simmering water; put green beans into steamer and cover with a lid. Steam for about 5 minutes until just tender crisp, continue to cook potatoes until fork tender. Drain, place potatoes, beans and eggs in colander rinse briefly under cold water. Peel the eggs and cut in half lengthwise.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rub tuna steaks on all sides with olive oil, a tiny bit of the vinaigrette, season with generous amounts of salt and pepper. Lay in hot pan and sear for approximately 2 minutes per side - as the tuna cooks, meat will turn white. Transfer to a cutting board and slice against the grain.
Assemble the salad - combine potatoes, beans, tomatoes, olives, anchovies and capers in large mixing bowl Shake vinaigrette to recombine. Drizzle over salad ingredients to fully moisten, toss gently to coat, season with salt and pepper. Take care with ingredients - try not to break up or mush up any of the items. Put the tossed sald down the center of a serving platter, top with tuna slices and garnish edges of platter with eggs. Drizzle with any remaining vinaigrette and serve -garnish with chopped chives, if desired.