Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini
- 6 medium zucchini (about 8 oz each)
- 1 lb hot or mild Butcher Box.ca gluten free Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 or 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (plum tomatoes are perfect for this Italian flavour inspired dish)
- 1 cup Panko style bread crumbs (seasoned are great, we also recommend gluten free so everyone can enjoy!)
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh Italians parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise to make boats, scoop out pulp, leaving about 1/4 inch in skin to make shell. Set aside. Place zucchini boats on microwave safe dish and heat in microwave, covered, on high 2 - 3 minutes until just tender crisp
In a large skillet cook sausage filling and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6 - 8 minutes or until sausage filling is no longer pink - breaking sausage filling into crumbles with wooden spoon while cooking. Drain, stir in chopped tomatoes, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, herbs and pepper. Cook until just heated through.
Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini boats, place on 9 x 13 baking dishes. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes until zucchini is fully tender.
Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake, uncovered, an additional 6 - 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
**A melon baller is a perfect tool to scoop out the zucchini boats.