ButcherBox.ca Steak, Ale and Cheese Soup
Mar 03, 2021
Easy, packed with flavour, sure to warm you from the inside out - try this Steak, Ale and Cheese soup today!
- 1 lb Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed, grass finished stew beef
- 2 large potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme -or- ½ tsp dehydrated
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 can (12 oz) beer or ale
- ½ cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbspolive oil
- Seasoned flour - 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch black pepper
Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Mix the seasoned flour ingredients and place mixture in a plastic bag. Place the cubed meat in the bag and shake until meat is coated.
Place meat in hot skillet, shaking off any excess flour. Brown meat on all sides. Place browned meat in the slow cooker.
Return skillet to heat and add the remaining 1 tbs of oil. Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic and celery until almost tender. Place vegetable mixture in slow cooker. Add the potato chunks to the slow cooker.
Pour the can of beer over the beef/vegetable mixture. Add stock cube & thyme.
Cover and cook on HI for 5-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours (I recommend cooking on HI as meat didn't break apart).
Turn off cooker and add cream. Stir well. Add cheese and stir again. Replace cover and let sit for about 10 minutes. Stir again and serve.
Makes about 4 servings.