Prep Time : 00h 00
Cooking Time : 00h 00
Servings Number : 1 person
A great way to make sure veggies are a part of your diet! This spaghetti sauce(ish) recipe is a perfect low carb, tasty meal!
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ButcherBox.ca hot or mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2-3 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup seasoned Panko bread crumbs (or seasoned gluten free bread crumbs)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise to make boats, scoop out pulp, (a melon baller is perfect for this step), leaving about 1/4 inch in skin to make shell. Set aside. Place zucchini boats on microwave safe dish and heat in microwave, covered, on high 2 - 3 minutes until just tender crisp
- In a large skillet cook sausage filling and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6 - 8 minutes or until sausage filling is no longer pink - breaking sausage filling into crumbles with wooden spoon while cooking. Drain, stir in chopped tomatoes, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, herbs and pepper. Cook until just heated through.
- Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini boats, place on 9 x 13 baking dish(es). Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes until zucchini is fully tender.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake, uncovered, an additional 6 - 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.