Prep Time : 00h 15
Cooking Time : 00h 45
Servings Number : 3 people
This one skillet Pepper Steak is a super flavour-packed stir fry meal full of tender steak, crisp bell peppers, and onions, all in a sweet and savory ginger sauce.
- 1 lb (4 each) ButcherBox.ca baseball cut top sirloin steaks, sliced thinly, against the grain
- 1 large onion, cut into medium strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into medium strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into medium strips
- 1 level tsp ground black pepper
- to taste salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger (or fresh grated, if you prefer)
- In a heavy skillet heat 3 tbsp oil until shimmery, add sliced steak in batches and saute until just brown. Don't overcrowd the skillet. Remove to plate as cooked.
- In the same oil add the sliced onion and saute until just translucent, remove and keep to the side.
- Using the same oil, quickly saute the bell pepper slices until just warmed and colour brightens.
- Add steak slices back to pan, season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add 2 cups boiling water and let cook over medium heat 30 - 45 minutes or until steak slices are tender. If needed, add a bit more water and cook longer.
- Add onoins and bell peppers back to pan. Mix together soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, 1/2 cup warm water, onion powder, garlic powder, and ginger. Whisk until smooth. Pour over steak, stir and continue to heat until sauce thickens and reduces by about 1/3.