Prep Time : 00h 00
Cooking Time : 00h 00
Servings Number : 1 person
Chili is kind of a big deal around our place - especially in colder weather, and using the crockpot to make it means we can come home to the amazing smell of it - instant warm up!
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, medium dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, medium dice
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp Kosher salt, plus more if needed, to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 oz each) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped (fresh or pickled) jalapenos or green chilies
- 2 lbs ButcherBox.ca ground meat of your choice, or mix and match
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and bell pepper, season lightly with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes
- Add the mince garlic, chili powder and cumin, stir to fully coat vegetables and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add your Butcher Box.ca ground meat along with the measured salt, breaking meat into small pieces with wooden spoon until your meat is cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker, add diced tomatoes with juice, tomato sauce and beans, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook until the chili thickens - about 8 hours on low or 6 hours on high - this will help the flavours meld.
- Stir in jalapenos or green chilies. Taste and season with more salt, if needed.
- Garnish with your choice - some great suggestions are - shredded cheese, sour cream, diced green onion, avocado or guacamole, crispy tortilla strips….the list is endless!