Ingredients and Method
- 1 lb ButcherBox.ca 100% grass fed grass finished minced lamb
- 1/2 onion, grated
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed, divided
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 tsp cumin, divided
- 2 tsp dried coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- to taste salt and pepper
- 8 skewers, if wooden, then soaked in water for several hours
- 8 small flatbreads, warmed
- for garnish shredded lettuce, sliced onion and sliced or diced tomatoes
- Make the yogurt sauce - combine yogurt, olive oil, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tbsp lemon juice, dash of salt and pepper until well blended. This is best to make a day ahead and leave in the refrigerator for flavours to blend.
- Make the Koftas - place grated onion into a large bowl, add mince lamb, breadcrumbs, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp fresh coriander, 2 tsp cumin, dried coriander, paprika, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, 1.5 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Mix with hands to blend all ingredients.
- Dampen your hands, it makes the mixture easier to work with. Divide the meat mixture into 8 equal sized pieces. Push and shape the meat around your skewers to shape it - you can make it smooth, or you can leave it a bit rough.
- Stovetop cooking - Preheat 1/2 tbsp high heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook koftas (in batches if needed) for about 5 minutes each, turning regularly to brown all over. Remove to a platter to drain.
- BBQ method - grill over medium heat (or semi indirect, if using charcoal) for approximately 6 minutes - be sure to rotate skewers so meat browns on all sides.
- Broiler method - preheat your broiler and cook your koftas about 10" from the element for about 12 minutes, rotating to brown lightly on all sides. (This method will not get as much browning as the stovetop or BBQ methods)
- Serve on a platter with warmed flat breads, shredded lettuce, sliced onion, tomatoes and have the yogurt sauce ready to put on the flat breads, drizzle over top or BOTH!
Write Your Own Review