Ingredients and Method
- 2 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 2 tbsp espresso grinds (or very finely ground dark roast coffee beans)
- 5 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp chile de arbol powder (or 3/4 tsp crushed red chili pepper flakes)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt (more to taste)
- 2 ButcherBox.ca 100% grass fed, grass finished NY striploin (or any of our AAA or 100% grass fed, grass finished steaks)
- 2 tbsp vegetable or other high burning point oil
- Mix all spices except salt in a small bowl. Season steaks on both sides with salt, then coat both sides with 5 tsp spice rub per steak (save any extras for next time!)
- Place steaks on a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and chill uncovered 3 – 6 hrs.
- Remove from fridge and let sit about 1 hr to come to room temperature, this can help steaks cook quickly and evenly.
- Stovetop/oven method - Preheat oven to 400F. Heat oil in large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steaks 2 mins or so per side to create a nice crust. Transfer skillet to heated oven; cook steaks until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 120 for medium-rare, about 5 minutes. Transfer to cutting board, let rest 10 minutes, slice ½” thick.
- Grilling method – preheat grill to 450F. Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135 degrees F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150 degrees F).
- **We swear by the "letting the steaks come to room temperature" concept, it truly does help them cook more evenly.
- **Letting the steak rest after cooking is crucial to the overal flavour, tenderness and juiciness, this lets the juices settle back into the steak
Write Your Own Review