Ingredients and Method
- 2 - 3 pcs ButcherBox.ca air chilled boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp ButcherBox.ca 100% grass fed grass finished organic salted butter
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely grated
- 3 1/2 tsp garam masala, divided
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin, ground, divided
- 2 tsp red chili powder, divided
- 2 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- In a bowl combine yogurt, 1 1/2 tbsp mince garlic, 1 tbsp mince ginger, 2 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp red chili powder and 1 tsp salt. Mix well and add chicken chunks to bowl. Cover and marinade for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. When sizzling, add chicken pieces in batches of two or three, making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry until browned for only 3 minutes on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat butter and 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Fry the onions until they start to sweat (about 6 minutes) while scraping up any browned bits stuck on the bottom of the pan.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant, then add ground coriander, 1 1/2 tbsp cumin and 1 1/2 tsp garam masala. Let cook for about 20 seconds until fragrant, while stirring occasionally.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce thickens and becomes a deep brown red colour.
- Remove from heat, scoop mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to help it blend (up to 1/4 cup). Work in batches depending on the size of your blender.
- Pour the puréed sauce back into the pan. Stir the cream, sugar and crushed fenugreek leaves through the sauce. Add the chicken with juices back into the pan, along with broccoli and mushrooms and cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and bubbling.
Write Your Own Review