Prep Time : 00h 30
Cooking Time : 00h 30
Servings Number : 1 person
This dish is creamy, comforting, and the perfect meal for a chilly fall evening. Go buy some pumpkin and make this.
- 1 lb ButcherBox.ca mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup ButcherBox.ca organic chicken stock
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 12 oz ziti noodles, cooked to al dente
- 15 oz can plain pumpkin puree
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Brown the sausage in a skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat until the fat is rendered and the sausage is no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- In the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the sage leaves, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt / pepper to taste. Cook one more minute.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. The heat should remain at medium to medium high. Add the chicken stock and stir in the pumpkin puree. Mix until everything is incorporated. The pumpkin will thicken the sauce.
- Stir in the crumbled sausage and transfer to a large bowl with the pasta. Mix until combined.
- Transfer back to your cast iron skillet (or a baking dish) and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-35 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with sage and parsley. Fried sage is good too! Enjoy this with a nice glass of white wine, preferably the one you used earlier. ;)