Traditional Meat Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds Butcher Box.ca naturally raised lean OR 100% grass fed grass finished lean ground beef OR 100% grass fed grass finished ground sirloin
- 1 pound Butcher Box.ca lean ground pork
- 1 cup mashed potatoes *see note
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoons flour
- pre made pastry (top and bottom) or make your own if you have a trusted family recipe
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high. Add the oil and onions, and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add ground beef and pork and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the meat into small pieces.
- Add mashed potatoes and spices.
- In a small jar or container, shake or whisk beef broth and flour until smooth and pour into the skillet - I sometimes use a small colander for this step to make sure I don’t have any lumps at all.
- Cook until the broth has thickened.
- Place the bottom crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Fill the crust with meat filling and top with remaining pie crust.
- Seal the two crusts together, rolling to one over the other if needed, and press gently with a fork or fingers - you can crimp, press, whatever you like to do to finish your edges. Be sure to cut at least a criss cross vent in the top - or go all artsy and creative!! Brush the top crust with egg wash (just whip up an egg, nothing else is needed).
- Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until the pie crust is golden brown in color - be sure to let your meat pie rest for several minutes before you cut into it!
For this recipe you can use leftover mashed potatoes, or boil 2 peeled, medium potatoes until tender and mash them until smooth with a potato masher or hand mixer