Szechuan Style Beef Liver and Onions - with Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed, grass finished beef liver
- 454 g (1 package) of Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed, grass finished beef liver
- milk (enough to cover the liver for soaking)
- 1 tbsp sliced ginger
- 1 tbsp sliced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 - 3 leeks sliced
- 1 - 2 chili peppers of your choice, sliced
- sea salt to taste
- corn starch for dredging
- 2 - 3 tbsp soy sauce of your choice
- Place liver in a glass dish, cover with milk, cover tightly and let soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Wash off milk, slice thinly
- Season with sea salt, dredge lightly in corn starch
- Heat oil in wok or deep fry pan over medium high heat until shiny, add peppercorns and cook for 2 - 3 mins until peppercorns have had a chance to be infused into the oil. Remove peppercorns with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Turn to high heat, add Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed grass finished beef liver, stir fry for 3-4 mins or until browned. Slightly undercook to avoid drying out the liver.
- Remove from pan and place on plate.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilies to your pan, stir fry for a minute, until fragrant. Add leeks and continue to stir fry until softened.
- Add liver strips and soy sauce, stir fry for moments to blend flavours and make sure everything is evenly coated with the soy sauce.
- Serve hot - jasmine or basil rice offers a perfectly savoury side dish for the slightly salty liver.