Zucchini Stuffed with Butcher Box.ca (hot or mild) Italian sausage
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 lb Butcher Box.ca hot or mild gluten free Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 or 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped (plum tomatoes have a flavour perfectly suited to the Italian flavour hints of this dish)
- 1 cup Panko style bread crumbs (seasoned or not, both work well)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh minced oregano (or 2 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp fresh minced basil (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise, scoop out pulp ( a melon baller is perfect for this step), set aside; leave about 1/4 inch of pulp in shell. Place zucchini "boats" on a microwave safe dish and microwave in batches that will fit, covered, on high 2 - 3 minutes or until tendercrisp.
- In a large skillet or saucepan cook sausage filling and zucchini pulp over medium heat 6 - 8 minutes or until sausage filling is no longer pink. Break sausage into crumbles with wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Drain, stir in chopped tomatoes, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, herbs and cracked pepper.
- Spoon mixture evenly into zucchini boats.
- Place boats in two 9X13 baking dishes. Bake, covered, 15 - 20 minutes until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake, uncovered, an additional 6 - 8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with extra parsley and parmesan before serving, if desired.