Steak, Ale and Cheese Soup with Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed grass finished Stew Beef
- 1 lb Butcher Box.ca 100% grass fed, grass finished stew beef
- 2 large potatoes, cut in chunks
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme -or- ½ tsp dehydrated
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 can (12 oz) beer or ale
- ½ cup cream or evaporated milk
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbspolive oil
- Seasoned flour - 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch black pepper
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Mix the seasoned flour ingredients and place mixture in a plastic bag. Place the cubed meat in the bag and shake until meat is coated.
- Place meat in hot skillet, shaking off any excess flour. Brown meat on all sides. Place browned meat in the slow cooker.
- Return skillet to heat and add the remaining 1 tbs of oil. Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic and celery until almost tender. Place vegetable mixture in slow cooker. Add the potato chunks to the slow cooker.
- Pour the can of beer over the beef/vegetable mixture. Add stock cube & thyme.
- Cover and cook on HI for 5-6 hours or LOW for 8-10 hours (I recommend cooking on HI as meat didn't break apart).
- Turn off cooker and add cream. Stir well. Add cheese and stir again. Replace cover and let sit for about 10 minutes. Stir again and serve.
- Makes about 4 servings.